Monday, May 12, 2014

Runnerbugz' first injury that can't be fixed with a foam roller??

I've been experiencing some pain in my right heel and ankle tendons for quite some time now. But things got markedly worse after running in that damn relay race 2 weekends ago, whereby I would run relatively hard (on the unforgiving road) and then sit in the van for several hours and tighten up. Not ideal.

I've been running through this heel/ankle stuff for a few months now actually, which perhaps is problem #1; not nipping it in the bud and taking time off. But how could I take time off when prepping for a race? 

This past week was kind of a turning point for me mentally. I had a tough week with running. Not only did I feel tired/sluggish on every single run, but I could feel my heel through every step of each run. This is a change from previous runs where it would hurt in the beginning and then the pain would subside as I settled into the run.


The latest in runnerbugz fashion - the Strassburg sock for plantar fasciitis relief

So I've enjoyed somewhat of a mental tussle with myself over what to do, but ultimately the reasonable side of me has won out and I'm taking a few days off (for starters) in addition to going to see an ortho that specializes in the foot/ankle. As much as I love to run, it's just not quite as enjoyable with an injury.

I've surprised myself a bit with how I've handled this situation. And not the good kind of surprise. My emotions are ranging from sheer panic about losing fitness to straight-up FOMO to mild depression. How have I become this obsessed/addicted to something whereby the thought of not doing it for a bit is absolutely terrifyingly???

Anyway, I'm not happy nor proud of this reaction, so I truly believe this rest is much needed, both physically and mentally. This week I'm choosing to focus my energies on a few things in lieu of running:  1) getting lots of rest and sleep -- when sleeping your body releases a growth hormone which stimulates muscle growth and repair, 2) stretching/strength exercises -- my goal is to attend a yoga class this week, and 3) biking for fun -- to enjoy the beautiful weather and get a little cardio.

Dealing with injury is tough. But I'm feeling extra grateful for my years of running injury-free and I'm looking ahead to an exciting summer of training once I get this minor setback under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment